Thursday, July 8, 2010

Colorful NYC Weekend

This past weekend my family and I went to New York City for the 4th of July (aka one of my favorite holidays). I had been wanting to go to to NYC all summer, and was planning how I was going to fund a trip there on my meager summer budget, so you can imagine my excitement when I found out that my dad had a trip to NYC, and that I would be able to come along.

I first visited the city about two weeks after 9/11. I was 11 years old, and couldn't fully comprehend the seriousness of what happened to our country, and especially to the city of NY. I remember walking to Battery Park and seeing the Statue of Libery through a chain link fence. Although I didn't realize it them, it was a poingant view of what happened. I looked to my right and I could see the site where the World Trade Centers had been. Now, I realize the hugeness of what I was able to witness. I think it was then I began to be drawn to New York City, although not in the manner I am today.
My love affair with New York really began when I became a fan of Sex and the City. As you all well know, I have a Carrie Bradshaw/SATC addiction. I'm not really sure why I am so addicted to the show, but I'm pretty sure it has significantly contributed to my shopping and shoe addictions as well. Watching the show, the city is like the fifth character, the show wouldn't have worked anywhere else.

As I walked the streets of New York City this weekend, I couldn't help but think, "I belong here." Maybe not forever, but I need to experience it, not on a two-day trip. I need to spend some serious time there, even if I have to work two jobs, have a roommate, and eat only ramen noodles. To me, it's worth it.

Here are some photos of my NYC weekend:

Panoramic shot taken from the top of the Empire State building.
This was clearly taken in Times Square.. I got to go to Forever 21:D (all five floors!!!)


This was taken outside La Cage aux Folles (The Birdcage). One of the best shows I've seen. Kelsey Grammer is in it. They had a drage queen working the crowd before the show:)
A not-so-great shot of the fireworks on the Hudson River. (I just couldn't hold my camera still!).

This was my absoulute FAVORITE part of the trip. I got to go to Greenwhich Village to Perry St. where they filmed the exterior scenes for Carrie Bradshaw's apartment. It's like I died and went to heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So cool!

Miranda: Why do I think living in Manhattan is so fabulous?
Carrie: Because it is.
-Sex and the City

No comments:

Post a Comment